GUAPO is an association founded in November 2017 at the initiative of Anne Hidalgo, Mayor of Paris, and Patrick Ollier, President of the Greater Paris Metropolis. It is co-chaired by Pauline Krikke, Mayor of The Hague, and Charlotte Marchandise, President of the French branch of the WHO Healthy Cities network.
GUAPO is a network of cities that are willing to fight air pollution. Member Cities benefit from the resources, tools and programmes developed by GUAPO, and contribute actively to the missions of the network and the exchange platform by enriching its contents.
GUAPO membership is open to all cities that are committed to fighting air pollution. Depending on their respective budgets, Member Cities pay an annual membership fee to the association.
The network of partners
GUAPO also relies on a diverse network of key players in the fight against air pollution: international organizations, non-governmental organizations, international donors, foundations, bilateral development agencies, research institutes, and the private sector. These partners participate in the development of GUAPO's various resources, tools and programs, in collaboration with and for the benefit of Member Cities.
- Board of Directors: its members are elected for two years from among the members of the General Assembly. The Board of Directors defines the association's action programme, votes the budget, approves the accounts, etc.
- Executive Board : the Board of Directors chooses, from among its members, an Executive Committee composed of two co-presidents, a treasurer, a secretary and three other members of the Board of Directors. The Executive Committee is responsible for defining the strategic orientations of the association.
NB: the City of Paris and the Greater Paris Metropolis are ex officio members of the Board of Directors and the Executive Committe.
- Scientific Committee: it is comprised of experts and representatives of international organizations (CCAC, WMO, WHO) and researchers (Paris-Est Créteil University, International Society for Urban Health). Its mission is to review the contents proposed by members of the GUAPO exchange platform, as well as to produce its own recommendations, in order to deepen and broaden the offer of resources and guidance aimed at elected officials and practitioners. By curating the contents published on the platform, the SC ensures their accuracy, relevance and adaptation to the specific context of each city.
- General Assembly: it is composed of all GUAPO members. It meets once a year to decide on GUAPO's work programme and vote on the main orientations.
- Secretariat: is responsible for implementing the decisions taken by the governing bodies. It coordinates and administers GUAPO's activities. The Secretariat is based in Paris, at the Fondation du Souffle.